All GST and shipping charges are included in the price.
This R&R steering rack clamp will suit the following model vehicles.
- Holden Rodeo RA, RA7 from 2003
- Holden Colorado RC to 2011
- Holden Colorado RG (without electric power steering) only
- Isuzu Dmax, Mux 2008-2019 (without electric power steering) only
Fitting is recommended before a Munji relocation diff drop kit is fitted, due to limited accessibility clearance. If relocation diff drop is already fitted, you may need to remove or losen the bolts to fit top plate of clamp.Then refit bolts.
Note: The steering rack clamp does not suit electric power steering racks. Any questions please send me a message to confirm.
This R&R steering rack clamp was designed and developed back in 2015, and has been introduced and made available online to keep up with demand.
The reason these clamps are highly sought after is due to the large amount of people using there 4WD for what they are meant for and taking them off-road, touring and enjoying remote locations.
The passenger side (original) standard steering rack support, it is only a loose fit bush style which allows the rack to pivot from the RH side rack mounting bolts. This can occur during wheel lift, wheel tuck, and also hitting a rut in dirt, sand or mud. In these circumstances it does not take much for the pivot movement on the passenger side to put pressure on the weak spot where the join is on the steering rack, causing it to crack, split and separate. After the steering rack separates, there is the high possibility with the rack movement that the high pressure oil line will split and power-steering will be lost.
With the R&R steering rack clamp, it firmly clamps the LH side of the rack, which in combination with the drivers side vertical and horizontal mounts, keeps the steering rack inline and strengthens the whole steering rack support.
Make sure you regularly check that your drivers side bushes are in good condition! If these get worn or have excessive movement, you run the risk of cracking the rack. Both sides need to work together to keep the rack firm and help prevent excessive movement.
Also make sure you check the welds and condition of the clamp mounting bracket. As these have been known to crack with and without a clamp in place. With running the clamp it strengthens the rack support and it has now moved the weakest spot to these welds on the LH clamp bracket. It is recommended to improve the welds and weld in an additional gusset as an added measure to avoid the poor welds or thin material from cracking.
Fitment is quite easy:
Install youtube video link below
- Lubricate steering rack mount bolts to ensure easy removal (day or 2 before if rusty)
- Remove the x2 bolts on the original clamp (17mm)
- Remove the clamp and bush
- Slightly loosen the x2 RH rack bolts. (24mm)
- Remove the top x2 m8 counter sunk bolts (size 5)
- Slide the back half of clamp up from under the rack into rough position
- Slide clamp to side and fit top Allen key LH then repeat on RH
- Now use loctite on the original 17mm clamp bolts to tighten and secure the back half of the clamp
- Place the top half of clamp over the mount bolts, fit the x4 flat washers and x4 nyloc nuts (13mm) supplied and tighten evenly top and bottom (there can be a gap between 0-3mm).
- Tighten the RH side mount bolts (24mm)
Note: Do not overtighten the nyloc nuts. If you overtighten, steering will become tight and when turning, the steering wheel won't return normally. If this happens, you have used excessive pressure. Just back off the pressure and test drive again. Remember use only reasonable firm pressure.
NOW YOU ARE DONE 😀
Very easy install. Allow 20-40mins, pending your experience using hand tools.
These clamps are recommended for off-road use only.
However, they have been tested and ran on my own vehicle and many others, both on and off road for over 5 years. They are extremely strong, and very safe. They are not ADR approved. So buyers are to install or have installed correctly and run at own risk.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.